Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Grand Canyon



Wow, did I have a great time!!! Ben had been planning a motorcycle trip with his dad and uncle Dean for awhile. The trip was to include the grand canyon, but it was about that time that Ben's bike broke down. They were about 30 miles from civilization in the Arizona heat and motorcycle garb. My dad was so sweet to let me steel his truck to go and rescue my damsel in distress. I was expecting to turn around and head back immediately, but Dean and Ben's dad were so thoughtful and offered to cover a room for us, so I could get a chance to see the canyon. I had been there before, but not like this. We traveled so high into the mountain and stayed at the resort that was built back in 1904. It was spectacular! We spent all day hiking and the view seemed to go on forever.

During the motorcycle ride out to Arizona, Ben had told me about an old man at a gas station who had confirmed some directions for them. They had asked if a specific road would be the one to take. They were clearly in motorcycle leathers, the bikes were visible from this guys view, yet somehow this guy didn't realize the death trap he was sending them on. Ben had to show me exactly what he was talking about, so we took this same road home in the truck. I was horrified. The road was extremely steep, extremely sharp turns, cliffs with no barriers, and all gravel. This went on for 20 miles!!! I still can't believe they are alive.

No comments: