
Ben and I celebrated our 8 year wedding anniversary!!! (Okay, so it was a few months ago.) He surprised me by taking me to the restaurant he proposed at. Can you believe we hadn't been there since? You would think we would make that a yearly tradition.
I thought I would surprise him with a wedding cake. We never actually had one. At the time a wedding cake seemed so expensive, and I didn't think anyone would notice if it was missing. What a fiasco that idea turned into. I had googled and scoured the internet looking for a wedding cake bakery. (After the fact, I realized I could have just gone to my local grocery store. Sheesh) Luck was not on my side. I found a lot of woman attempting to be professional bakers, but the cakes didn't look any better than I could do myself. I finally stumbled upon a website with beautiful cakes exactly what I was looking for. I found a simple top layer with a large bouquet of fresh flowers spilling over the top. I called the lady immediately. We decided on the perfect flavor and filling. I was so excited! Just as I was about to hang up I realized I had gotten so off track that the cake would have to be picked up an HOUR AWAY!!! A 2 hour trip for a cake??? What had I done? I decided to stick with it because it was what I was looking for and she was so nice and helpful. Betsy was sweet enough (thanks again!) to come along for the ride with me. We got to the house and the lady was so excited and took us into see the cake....which was NOTHING like the cake I had specifically told her that I wanted from her website! It was the same white base, but she had made just a few PASTEL FONDANT flowers. There was one pink rose, one yellow calla lily (do they even come in yellow) and a few tiny lilac flowers. Could you imagine the uproar if she had done this to a brides cake???? I didn't know what to say, but what was I supposed to do? I thanked her and thought it would grow on me, it just wasn't what I was expecting. Betsy and I were both kind of biting our lip on the way home. I dropped her off and decided I really hated it. There was no use trying. It was soooo 80's. I stopped at a florist and told her my problem. After looking at me like I was the weirdest person on the planet, she fixed it.
In addition to the fiasco this cake had become, it was also becoming ridiculously expensive. The cake itself was $35 + $15 for the flowers I had to replace + the gas to pick it up. All I kept thinking was "It better taste good"
Ben ended up loving the cake and the story just made it better. After dinner and our dessert we cuddled up downstairs to watch our wedding video. Ben didn't even realize we had it on video. Wow, it was crazy to watch again. Only 8 years, but feels like a lifetime ago.
1 comment:
wooo wooo!
Post a Comment